This amazing vegan version of buffalo potato skins is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next party! Crispy potato skins are filled with shredded soy curls sautéed with onion, buffalo sauce, green onion, and almond crema. They are topped with guacamole and more creamy buffalo sauce.
Why This Recipe Works
Have you made baked potatoes in the air fryer? If you haven’t, you are seriously missing out. They turn out creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside. They’re perfect for making stuffed potato skins that are spicy, creamy, vegan, and gluten-free.
Potatoes: Use russet or Idaho potatoes for this recipe. They have the thickest skin and will hold up better than potato skins.
Primal Kitchen Jalapeño Buffalo Sauce: This buffalo sauce is my absolute favorite! It is creamy, spicy, and delicious!! It is keto and paleo certified, whole 30 approved, vegan, and gluten-free. You can find it at your neighborhood Sprouts.
Soy curls: Soy curls are an all-natural alternative to meat that is made from minimally processed soy strips. If you can’t find them you can make this recipe with mashed chickpeas.
Almond crema: I make my own almond crema, but you can also use cashew cream, vegan sour cream, or vegan cream cheese.
Step by Step instructions
- To make potato skins in the air fryer, spray potatoes with avocado oil and air fry potatoes for 50 min.
- Let cool 10 min. cut in half, and scoop out flesh.
- Pour boiling broth on top of soy curls.
- Let soak for 10 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid.
5. Shred soy curls in blender.
6. Sauté onion in a large skillet.
7. Add soy curls, and sauté until golden brown.
8. Add buffalo sauce and almond crema.
9. Place potato skins back in the air fryer for 15 minutes to crisp up.
10. Mash potato you scooped out.
11. In a bowl combine mashed potato flesh, soy curl mixture, green onion, more buffalo sauce to taste, and mix.
12. Fill potato skins and top with guacamole, crema, and more delicious buffalo sauce.
Expert Tips and Tricks
I prefer to use vegan crema to top these potato skins, but if you have a favorite vegan cheese you can do that instead. Place the filled potato skins topped with cheese under the oven broiler set on HI to melt the cheese.
Serve immediately while hot. It is a great party appetizer!
You can store the filling in the fridge for up to 3 days or 6 months in the freezer.
Yes. Spray potatoes with oil and bake at 400F until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool 10 minutes, then cut in half and scoop out the flesh. Spray skins with oil and place back in the oven at 450F for 20 minutes, 10 minutes on each side.
Potato skins are healthy. They are high in fiber and potassium. They also have vitamin C and phytochemicals. For a healthier version, skip the frying, and air-fry or bake them
Potato skins are gluten-free. This recipe for Vegan Buffalo Potato Skins is also gluten-free.
Vegan Buffalo Potato Skins
- 4 Russet potatoes, medium
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup Almond crema
- 1/3 cup Buffalo sauce
- Spray potatoes with avocado oil and place on air fryer rack or basket. Air fry for 45 - 50 minutes at 400F until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, bring your broth to a boil in a small pot over high heat. Place the soy curls in a heat proof bowl and pour the broth on them. Using a large spoon, press down so the soy curls absorb all the liquid.
- Once the soy curls cool down a bit, squeeze all the liquid you can out of them. Place a third of the soy curls in the blender and process on low, until the soy curls are shredded. Repeat with the rest of the soy curls.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Stir in shredded soy curls and sauté until it browns slightly. Lower heat and add almond crema, Buffalo sauce, and green onions. Stir to combine. Season to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove potatoes from air fryer and let cool slightly. Cut in half horizontally and scoop out the insides leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the skin.
- Mash the potato insides with a fork and mix them in with the soy curl mixture.
- Spray the potato skins with avocado oil and air fry them for 15 min, flipping them half way through.
- Fill the potato skins with the Buffalo soy curls and place under the oven broiler for 2 minutes. Top with almond crema, guacamole, green onions, and Buffalo sauce.
- Use russet or Idaho potatoes for this recipe. They have the thickest skin and will hold up better as potato skins.
- Soy curls are an all-natural alternative to meat that is made from minimally processed soy strips. If you can’t find them you can make this recipe with mashed chickpeas.
- I make my own almond crema, but you can also use a cashew cream, vegan sour cream or vegan cream cheese.
Although dorastable.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.