Disclaimer: The post is in partnership with Hernán & may include affiliate links.
Are you a fan of Mexican hot chocolate?? Well you are going to love these Mexican hot chocolate popsicles. Maybe the thought of eating frozen hot chocolate doesn’t get you excited, but let me change your mind.
These Mexican hot chocolate paletas are creamy and sweet, chocolaty and rich, with a touch of cinnamon. They are everything that’s good about Mexican chocolate but in paleta form.
For this recipe I used my new favorite Mexican hot chocolate: Hernán. I found out about Hernan at a local festival here in San Antonio and I instantly fell in love with their all-natural, vegan products.
Hernán is the real deal, and I’m not talking about adding cinnamon to cocoa powder and calling it Mexican chocolate. I mean real, authentic, Mexican chocolate sourced from Chiapas, and ground with sugar and cinnamon. In fact, the cacao used to make Hernan Mexican hot chocolate is organic and from a biodiversified plantation! I can’t wait to experiment more with Hernán chocolate, maybe I’ll make Mexican chocolate ice cream next.
I tried several ways of making this recipe, testing out several different plant milks and methods, but I couldn’t get them creamy enough.Doing some research online, I found a couple of recipes that were doing chocolate and avocado popsicles and I thought maybe I should try it.
I’m not going to lie, I was super hesitant to use avocado in this recipe. I thought it would change the taste too much. Finally I decided to give it a go and I was shocked. The avocado makes this the creamiest chocolate popsicle ever, without any unhealthy animal fats, and it doesn’t affect the flavor at all.
The kids loved them and I hope you like them too!
The Recipe: Mexican Hot Chocolate Popsicles (Paletas de Chocolate)
- The recipe calls for 1 tablilla per cup of milk, but if you really like dark chocolate I would use 1 1/2 tablillas per cup of milk.
- You can use any sweetener of choice, maple syrup would be really good with this though.
- Make sure your avocado is ripe
- This is the mold that I used to make these.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Popsicles
- 2 tablets (tablillas) Hernan Mexican chocolate
- 2 cups Almond-coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 Avocado ripe, cut in half, flesh removed
- 2 tbsp. Sugar or maple syrup
- Bring the coconut-almond milk to a very low simmer over low heat. Add chocolate tablets and sugar, and stir with a whisk or molinillo.
- Once the chocolate has dissolved pour it in a container and let it cool completely in the fridge or freezer.
Place the chocolate mixture, avocado, and sugar in the blender, and puree until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds, snap on the lids, and freeze for at least 5 hours.
• The recipe calls for 1 tablilla per cup of milk, but if you really like dark chocolate I would use 1 1/2 tablillas per cup of milk.
• You can use any sweetener of choice, maple syrup would be really good with this though.
• Make sure your avocado is ripe.
Are you looking for more paleta recipes?? Check these out