Fresas con crema is one of those comfort foods that hold a certain nostalgia and takes you back to hot afternoons and sweet sticky hands. This is the vegan version of fresas con crema and it is just as good or even better than its counterpart!!
History of Fresas con Crema
Fresas con crema or Mexican strawberries and cream is an iconic Mexican dish, a childhood favorite. To my surprise, while doing research on this recipe I found out that fresas con crema aren’t Mexican at all. They are based on an English dish, strawberries and cream.
Strawberries and cream is apparently super popular in England. It is believed that King George V was the first to bring strawberries and cream to Wimbleton in the early 1900’s. Strawberries are in season in the summer in England and it’s an easy and refreshing dessert that everyone loves to make.
Strawberries in Mexico
This dessert is especially popular in the Mexican states that grow strawberries like Guanajuato, Michoacan, Zacatecas, Queretaro, and Aguascalientes. Did you know that most of the strawberries grown in Mexico are exported to the United States? I didn’t know. The varieties most commonly grown in Mexico are Festival, Sweet Charlie, Galexia, Camino Real, Albion, Camarosa, Aromas, Ventana, Diamante, Pajaro, Parker, Chandler, and Gaviota.
The Mexican Version
Mexican Fresas con crema is made with Mexican crema which is different from heavy or whipping cream. It’s slightly tangy and thicker than heavy cream, but not as thick as sour cream. For this vegan version, I made the crema using almonds that I soaked overnight and peeled, then blended with almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla, and agave syrup. Some of you may be familiar with this technique since I’ve used it before to make the sauce for this creamy chipotle pasta, and this poblano pasta as well.
The Recipe: Vegan Fresas con Crema
- Make sure to soak your almonds overnight. For a smoother sauce you can soak them for 2 days, just make sure to change the water.
- You can use cashews instead of almonds for this recipe. If you do, make sure you add the liquid gradually until you reach the desired consistency.
Vegan Fresas con Crema
- 1 cup Almonds, soaked overnight, peeled
- ½ cup Almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice, fresh
- ¼ cup Agave syrup
- 1/3-1/2 cup Water
- 1 lb. Strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
- To make the almond crema pour boiling water over almonds and let them soak overnight. The next day peel the almonds. Place an almond between your thumb and your forefinger and press slightly. The skin should slip right off.
- Place almond in a blender with almond milk, vanilla, lemon juice, agave, and 1/3 cup of water.
- Process until smooth on high. This is going to take 3-4 minutes. If necessary add the remaining amount of water until you reach the desired consistency. About the same as a thick heavy cream.
- Strain the almond mixture with a fine-mesh strainer. Place in the fridge for at least thirty minutes.
- Serve over cut strawberries.
• You can use cashews instead of almonds for this recipe. If you do, make sure you add the liquid gradually until you reach the desired consistency.