School has started and I now have several hours to myself, and I have to tell you it is great. I will be enjoying this as much as I can since it will only last until I can find a job that fits our schedule. I do miss my little guy though. There is only one downside to all of this, waking up at 6:00am. Nobody should have to wake up at 6 am, nobody I say!
Other that, I’m really enjoying taking care of all the boring stuff while the munchkin is at school, this way I don’t have to drag him to the grocery store or put on the TV while I make dinner. It is surprisingly freeing to be able to just play with him when he gets home instead of worrying about dishes, laundry, cooking dinner, or working on the blog.
That being said, I have been cooking up a storm. Just this week I made blueberry pie, hummus, chiles rellenos, ratatouille w/grits, banana ice cream, and granola. I never buy granola, because I could probably eat the whole box in one day. The good news is granola is super easy to make at home without all the additives, preservatives, and oil found in commercial granola.
The Recipe: Apricot Amaranth Granola
Rolled oats. almonds, walnuts, puffed amaranth, hemp seeds, cinnamon, brown sugar, and apricots tossed with apple sauce and peanut butter and toasted until golden brown. Delicious, satisfying and perfect for breakfast. Enjoy!
Apricot Amaranth Granola
- 1 1/4 cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Almonds, raw, chopped
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, raw, chopped
- 1/2 cup Amaranth, popped
- 1 tbsp, Hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tbsp. Sugar, brown
- 1/4 cup Apricots, dried, chopped
- 1/4 cup Honey*
- 2 tbsp, Apple sauce
- 3 tbsp. Almond butter
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, walnuts, amaranth, hemp seeds, cinnamon, brown sugar, and apricots.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey, apple sauce, and almond butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix by hand.
- Place mixture on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Stir granola after 10 minutes in the oven.
For a vegan option you can substitute the honey for maple syrup or agave nectar.