These delicious, easy-to-make tacos are filled with a smoky and spicy vegan tinga. The tinga is made with shredded carrots and sweet potatoes stewed in onion, garlic, and a tomato-chipotle sauce.
The sweet potatoes make this dish just a bit sweet while the chipotle-tomato sauce adds a tanginess that will keep you coming back for more. I like to eat them on warm corn tortillas and top them off with some avocado for a luscious creaminess.
What Makes This Recipe Great
The best thing about this recipe is that it's super easy to make and only requires a couple of ingredients. I make a less spicy version for my kids and they love it! It is also vegan, gluten-free, and dairy free.
What is Tinga?
Traditionally, tinga is a shredded pork dish that originates from Puebla. It is also commonly made with chicken or beef. This vegan version packs all of the flavors of traditional tinga but in a healthier version. While good in a vegan taco it is also great on tostadas.
Sweet potatoes: They are rich in fiber and antioxidants, that’s why I chose them for this recipe. If sweet potatoes are not your thing you could use regular potatoes as well.
Carrots: The carrots give this recipe texture so don’t skip out on them.
If you are looking for more meatiness you can also make this recipe with shredded soy curls or canned young green jackfruit. Cauliflower is delicious when stewed in the tinga sauce. There is an option for everyone!
How to Make Vegan Tinga
- In the blender combine the diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, oregano, and chipotle peppers.
- Puree until smooth.
- In a large pot, saute onion and garlic.
- Add the carrots and sweet potatoes. Pour in the tomato chipotle puree.
5. Pour in some vegetable broth.
6. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots and sweet potatoes are tender.
7. Heat up corn tortillas.
8. Serve in tacos with a slice of avocado.
Serve on warm corn tortillas with avocado to make tacos or serve on tostadas slathered in refried beans and topped with tomato, lettuce, and avocado.
Store the tinga in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to six months.
Tinga refers to a Mexican dish that consists of shredded meat stewed in a tomato-chipotle sauce. To make a vegan version you can use shredded carrots, hibiscus flowers, soy curls, shredded mushrooms, or jackfruit as the meat substitute.
Yes, before you use them be sure to remove stems and seeds and soak in hot water for 10 minutes.
More Vegan Tacos Recipes
Sweet Potato and Carrot Tinga Tacos
- 1 can (14 oz.) Diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. Mexican oregano (optional)
- 2 Chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 cup Thinly sliced white onion
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ cups Grated sweet potato
- 1 cup Grated carrot
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 8 Tortillas corn or flour
- Place the diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock, oregano, and chipotle peppers in the blender and process until smooth.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-heat, add water and onion, cook for 3 -4 minutes, until the onion is translucent and soft. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potato and carrot to the pan and cook for 5 min stirring often.
- Add chipotle-tomato sauce to the pan and cook for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes and carrot are cooked through. If necessary add the remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable stock to the pan.
- Serve on warm tortillas and top with avocado slices.
Although dorastable.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.