These crispy air fryer tacos tapatios are filled with seasoned soy curls, crisped to perfection, and topped with salsa verde, crema, pickled cabbage, and tomato. They are definitely a crowd pleaser and very popular with the little ones.
Why this Recipe Works
The air fryer makes amazing crispy tacos without all the fat and mess. The best part is that the soy curls make a meaty filling proving the right amount of umami and texture for a protein-filled taco. The tangy salsa verde and the creamy vegan crema contrast with the crunchiness of the pickled cabbage, but you have to eat them fast so they don’t get too soggy. It’s a race to the finish to find the perfect spot between soggy and crispy. They are also vegan and gluten-free.
This is a very popular street food in my hometown of Acuña, Mexico. They are sold on food trucks and are some of the best late-night eats you will find. Contrary to what the name says they are not actually from Guadalajara. I haven’t had them anywhere else besides my home state of Coahuila and San Antonio, TX. I wanted to recreate them because I haven’t had them since I went vegan 6 years ago!! I hope you enjoy them much as I do.
Tortillas: Corn tortillas work the best for this. Try to find ones that are very thin, so you can get a crispier taco.
Almond Crema: I make my own crema out of soaked almonds, but a cashew cream will also work.
Salsa Verde: Any commercial salsa verde will work but you have to try this recipe for the best salsa verde.
Make Air Fryer Tacos Tapatios Step by Step
1. Bring vegetable stock to a simmer.
2. Pour over soy curls and let soak for 10 min.
3. Shred the soy curls in the blender so they resemble shredded meat.
4. Prepare seasoning sauce by blending all the ingredients.
5. Sauté the soy curls and pour in the seasoning sauce. Let cool slightly.
6. Warm tortillas and fill with soy curls.
7. Roll tightly.
8. Place seam side down on the air fryer rack. Cook at 400F for 10 -12 min. flipping half-way through.
9. While the tacos are cooking, combine all the ingredients for the cabbage and pour over shredded cabbage.
10. When your tacos are golden brown and crispy remove from the air fryer and garnish with the toppings.
Serve this right away topped with the salsa verde, almond crema, pickled cabbage, tomato, and pickled jalapeños on the side. Another option is to place all the toppings in the center and let everyone garnish their own tacos.
I would not recommend you store this. You can store the pickled cabbage, salsa verde, and almond crema for up to two days in the fridge.
Yes, you can bake them at 425F for 15 minutes.
Did you try this recipe and love it?? Leave a comment below. Follow along on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram for all of the latest recipes.
Air Fryer Tacos Tapatios
- 8 oz Butler's soy curls
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ onion (47 g)
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp. avocado oil (optional)
- 28 corn tortillas
- ½ small cabbage shredded (225g)
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- In a medium pot bring the vegetable broth to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Place the soy curls in a heat proof bowl and pour the broth over them. Using a spoon press down on the soy curls to make sure they absorb all the liquid. Let rest for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the soy sauce, garlic, onion, smoked paprika, and water in the blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Place 1/3 of the soy curls in the blender and pulse until the soy curls shred and resemble shredded meat. Repeat this with the rest of the soy curls.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the shredded soy curls and sauté until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Pour in seasoning sauce and stir to combine. Continue cooking until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. Heat your tortillas in the microwave or on a griddle until they are soft enough to roll. Fill with about 1 tbsp. of shredded soy curls and roll tightly. Secure with a toothpick or place seam side down on the rack of your air fryer. Spray lightly with avocado oil (optional) and cook for 10 – 12 min. until golden brown.
- While the tacos are cooking, place the cabbage in a large bowl and pour in the lime juice, white vinegar, salt and water. Stir to combine and let sit until you are ready to eat your tacos.
- Remove the tacos from the air fryer and top with salsa verde, almond crema, pickled cabbage, and sliced tomatoes. Serve with pickled jalapeños on the side.
- Corn tortillas work the best for this. Try to find ones that are very thin, so you can get a crispier taco.
- If you can’t find soy curls, you can also use TVP or green jackfruit.
- I make my own crema out of soaked almonds, but a cashew cream will also work. Any commercial salsa verde will work but you have to try this recipe for the best salsa verde.
- If you don’t have an air fryer you can bake these in the oven at 425°F for 12- 15 minutes.
Although dorastable.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.