This Bionico Mexican Fruit Salad is a refreshing, satisfying, and perfectly sweet and creamy breakfast or special treat. Sweet papaya, pineapple and orange chunks are layered with an almond banana yogurt, and topped with granola and coconut.
The bionico is thought to have originated in the early 90’s in Guadalajara, Jalisco. It is a very popular breakfast item and is usually sold in the juguerias (juice bars). Traditionally it is made with crema and condensed milk, but this is a lighter vegan version served with a homemade, no-fuss, almond-banana yogurt. You can use whatever fruit you wish, but you can will most likely find it made through out Mexico with cantaloupe, apple, papaya, bananas, and strawberries. The toppings vary, but are usually granola, raisins, nuts, coconut flakes, and even chocolate chips.
The last two weeks have been pretty hectic, but I’m happy to report that we have now moved in to our San Antonio home! This is a big change for us, not because of the actual move (this is our 7th move), but because this is the closest we have ever lived to family. My parents and sisters live a 3 hour drive away, and I have two first cousins who live here in San Antonio. With baby number 3 on the way this will be a great help.
As a matter of fact something unprecedented happened. Two of my sisters and a close family friend drove to San Antonio to help unpack. We were unpacked in less than a day!! I just couldn’t believe it, usually moves are so stressful and demanding, it’s amazing what a little help can do. The kids and I have been busy exploring San Antonio visiting parks, museums, and libraries. Do you have any recommendations on where we should go next?
The Recipe: Bionico Mexican Fruit Salad
Feel free to use cashews instead of almonds for the yogurt. If you do not have a high powered blender I would recommend soaking the nuts overnight in water. Use whatever fruits and toppings you prefer (try this oil-free granola). The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
This post is also available in: Español
Bionico Mexican Fruit Salad (Vegan)
- 1 cup Pineapple, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 cup Papapaya, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 cup Orange, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Granola, oil-free
- 1 tbsp. Coconut, shredded, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Almonds, blanched
- 1/4 cup Almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Banana, ripe, sliced into rounds
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 tbsp. Maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- Place all of the ingredients for the yogurt in the blender. Process until completely smooth. Pour into a container, set aside and refrigerate for 15 minutes. (It will thicken slightly in the refrigerator.)
- Begin layering your fruit into a cup or bowl, by alternating with 1 tbsp. of almond yogurt, until you have filled your cup ¾ of the way.
- Top the fruit and yogurt with granola and shredded coconut.
Feel free to use cashews instead of almonds for the yogurt. If you do not have a high powered blender I would recommend soaking the nuts overnight in water. Use whatever fruits and toppings you prefer (try this oil-free granola). Some options include nuts, raisins or chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!