You might know them by a different name like vegan snowball cookies, polvorones, or Russian tea cakes, but there is no doubt that vegan Mexican wedding cookies are THE cookies to make this season. These incredibly "buttery" cookies are studded with chopped pecans, spiced with cinnamon and ground anise, and covered in a delicate layer of powdered sugar.
In Mexico, these cookies can be found all year long, but they are especially popular during Christmas. They are not called vegan Mexican wedding cookies, they are known as hojarascas or polvorones depending on where in Mexico you are.
I don't think I've ever seen them actually served at weddings, but you never know, Mexico is a big country were traditions, cuisine, and even accents can differ from state to state. I did grow up eating these, but my favorite is definitely the version with orange zest and cinnamon-sugar.
We love Christmas! It's such a joyous time when you live it through the eyes of the children. We are a bilingual and multi-cultural household so we do try to incorporate different traditions from our cultures. The kids get presents (toys) from Santa and the Reyes Magos (Three Kings) bring them books and treats. We eat tamales and pozole, but there's also turkey (for the non-vegans) and gingerbread house decorating. What are some of your favorite traditions??
The Recipe: Vegan Mexican Wedding Cookies
This cookie is basically a shortbread cookie, so the first thing you'll need to do is cream the vegan butter and sugar. After this you add the flour and seasonings and mix well. It is very easy to make and take only 15 min. to bake in the oven!!
- I used earth balance to make this recipe, but you can use your favorite vegan butter.
- You can shape these any way you like in little balls or you can use this same dough to roll out and cut into shapes. I've even used it to make thumbprint cookies.
- This recipe makes quite a bit of cookies so if you don't need that many cookies I suggest you still make the whole recipe then freeze half the dough and save it for later. Instant cookies!!
Vegan Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 5 oz. (2/3 cup) Sugar, granulated
- 12 oz. (1 ½ cups) Vegan butter, room temperature
- 16 oz. (3 cups) Flour, all-purpose
- ½ cup Chopped pecans
- ½ tsp. Ground anise seed
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream butter and sugar, in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, and ground anise. Mix in chopped pecans.
- Slowly add flour, with mixer at low speed. Mix until well combined.
- Line 2 sheet-pans with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place balls on sheet-tray, 1 inch apart from each other.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bottoms become golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once completely cool roll cookies in powdered sugar.