Just so you know, we are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and may collect a share from the links on this page.
This might be the best paleta recipe I’ve ever made, and it’s a boozy popsicle! This watermelon paleta shot is a combination of sweet watermelon, lime juice, tequila, and chile powder. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I’m excited to be participating once again in Lola’s Cocina Paleta Week. Head on over there to find all kinds of paleta recipe to cool down this summer.
They’re inspired by the famous watermelon paleta shot, which is a very popular drink along the border of US-Mexico. The shot itself is supposed to mimic the Mexican spicy watermelon lollipop candy. So I’ve taken this concept and turned it into a deliciously spicy watermelon popsicle.
This is the first time I’ve ever tried to make a boozy popsicle, but with this heat it sounds like the perfect solution to a stressful and hot day. They would also be perfect for an adult pool party or a day at the beach, but be sure to label them as adult popsicles otherwise your little ones might get a tummy ache.
We recently had our baby boy’s first birthday party and I gave some of our guest this watermelon paleta shot to try and they loved it. I hardly tasted the tequila in there, but they assured me that they definitely felt it.
I always try to come up with new paleta recipes in the summer. It’s so easy with my handy paleta mold, and whatever fresh fruit I have on hand. I also refer to Fanny Gerson’s book Paletas. Even though it’s not a vegan cookbook, a lot of the recipes are vegan or easily adaptable.
The Recipe: Watermelon Paleta Shot
- I used my favorite Corralejo Tequila, but you can use any tequila you want.
- We prefer Tajin chile powder for these.
- Because of the alcohol it is best to freeze these overnight.
- If your watermelon is super sweet, you can reduce the amount of sugar.
Watermelon Paleta Shot
- 4 cups Diced watermelon, seedless
- ½ cup Tequila, (Corralejo reposado)
- 3 tbsp. Lime juice, fresh
- ½ cup Sugar or sweetener of your choice
- 10 tsp. Tajin chile powder
- Place the watermelon, tequila, lime juice, and sugar in the blender and process until smooth.
- Place 1 tsp. of chile powder at the bottom of each popsicle mold.
- Pour in watermelon mixture into molds, snap on lids, insert popsicle sticks, and freeze overnight.