Add to Collection
Go to Collections
TVP Street Tacos
TVP Tacos with a mix of TVP, mushrooms, and walnuts seasoned with a savory marinade. Served on corn tortillas with cilantro, onion and salsa. Recipe adapted from Amor y Sabor con Cesia
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 3 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Lime juice. fresh
- ½ Onion, white
- 1 Bay leaf
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- 2 Garlic cloves
- ¼ Onion, white
- ¼ tsp. Smoked Paprika
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup Finely chopped Mushrooms
- Small corn tortillas
- ½ cup Chopped white onion
- ½ cup Chopped cilantro
- 2 Limes
- Salsa of your choice
Rinse TVP in cold water. Place TVP in large pot with 3 cups of water, lime juice, onion, and bay leaf. Simmer for 10 minutes.
While the TVP is simmering place the soy sauce, garlic cloves, onion, smoked paprika, and water in the blender and process until smooth.
Drain, rinse, and squeeze out all of the water possible from the TVP.
Heat a large sauté pan to medium-high heat add 1 tbsp. of oil (optional). Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes, stir often. Add the TVP and the chopped walnuts.
Continue to cook for 3 – 4 minutes in the pan. Add the seasoning sauce and stir to combine.
Cook until the meat is golden brown and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 more minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary with salt and pepper.
Heat up tortillas on a griddle or comal coated with a small amount of oil. To assemble the tacos place two tortillas on top of each other place filling in the center and sprinkle with onion and cilantro. Add a splash of lime juice, and your favorite salsa. Repeat this with the rest of the tortillas and filling.
- I decided to add mushrooms and walnuts to this to add a more meaty texture and flavor, that being said, both are optional. You can make this recipe with only textured vegetable protein.
- If you want this to be truly authentic you need to add a little bit of oil to your griddle or comal when you heat up your tortillas.
- I used street taco corn tortillas which are smaller than your regular sized ones, but you can also buy regular-sized corn tortillas, and cut them with a cookie-cutter into a smaller size.
- Street tacos in Mexico are made with two tortillas each.
Serving: 3tacos | Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 862mg | Potassium: 400mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 303IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 182mg | Iron: 5mg