Vegan Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
This vegan key lime pie ice cream is a play on my favorite Mexican dessert, carlota de limón. (In Mexico it is also known as pay de limón ice cream.) A tangy and sweet key lime-coconut milk base is churned until it is light and creamy and then mixed with crumbled Maria cookies.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Servings 8 servings (1 quart)
- 2 cups Canned Coconut milk unsweetened
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Agave nectar
- 1/3 cup Fresh key lime juice or regular lime juice
- ½ cup Crumbled Maria cookies see note
Place the coconut milk, lime juice, sugar, and agave nectar in the blender and process until smooth.
Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator for at least two hours, preferably overnight.
Once the mixture is cold, add it to your ice cream machine and churn according to the machine’s instructions. It could take anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes.
During the last couple of minutes of churning add the crumbled cookies to the ice cream.
Transfer the ice cream (it will look like soft-serve a freezer-safe container with a lid and freeze for at least 5 hours.
- To crumble the Maria cookies, place them in a Ziploc bag and pound them with a rolling pin.
- If after freezing the ice cream is too hard, leave it out at room temperature to soften a little bit.
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg