Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Vegan Aguachile Verde (Aguachile Estilo Nayarit)
Vegan Aguachile Verde recipe, in this vegan version oyster mushrooms, are used to replace the shrimp. Serve with tostadas and avocado.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Marinating time 4 hours
Total Time 22 minutes
Servings 4 Servings
- 2 Serrano peppers
- 1 Garlic clove
- ¼ White onion
- 4 Limes
- 1 cup Cilantro, stems removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 7-8 King Oyster Mushrooms, medium size (about 1.25 lb.)
- 2 Cucumbers, peeled and gutted
- 1 Red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 Limes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Small seaweed sheets crumpled and sprinkled before serving
Preparing the mushrooms:
Clean mushrooms with a damp towel, do not wash since it will change the texture of the mushroom. Cut the mushroom stems, you can cut the top as well but I like the texture
Shred them with two forks so they have a "shredded chicken" look. Place them in a large bowl, and marinate with 4-5 squeezed limes and pink salt, refrigerate for about 4 hours (I marinated mine over night.)
To make the salsa:
Place the serrano peppers, garlic, onion, juice of 4 limes, and cilantro in the blender and process until smooth.
Making the aguachile:
Cut the cucumbers in half and gut the cucumber so they resemble a “c” shape, slice thinly. Cut the onion into thin slices. Add cucumbers and onions to a large bowl.
Pour serrano salsa over the cucumber/onion mix. Marinate for 2 – 4 hours. (I marinated it overnight.) Squeeze additional lime juice if needed, I like it very citrusy but this is optional.
After the marinating time is done, combine mushrooms and cucumber/onion mix, add salt to taste, and top with avocado and extra cilantro.
I like to add my seaweed right before serving so it doesn't get too soggy.
• It might seem like this is way too much lime juice, but I promise it’s not.
• You can reduce the amount of chiles if you can’t take the heat.
• If mushrooms aren’t your thing you can make aguachile with hearts of palm.
• Serve this with tostadas, avocado, and a nice cold beer.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 1059mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 480IU | Vitamin C: 53.9mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 1.4mg