Matamoros Style Seafood Stew
This vegan Matamoros style seafood stew is a spicy, tangy, and hearty stew of oyster mushrooms, chickpeas, hearts of palm, and corn simmered in a chile-tomato broth. It is served with chopped cilantro, a splash of lime juice, and tostadas.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 8 Dried guajillo chiles, soaked, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil divided
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp. Dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- 2 tsp. Ground cumin
- 2 tsp. Ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp. Chipotle powder
- 2 tbsp. Dulse flakes
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes roasted and peeled
- 8 ounces Tomato sauce
- 2 Carrots diced medium
- 1 Medium onion diced medium
- 3 Stalks celery diced medium
- 8 ounces Oyster mushrooms separated
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 14 ounces Hearts of palm, half diced in rings, half julienned
- 4 ears Fresh corn on the cob broken into halves
- 1 ½ cups Chickpeas, cooked
- ½ cup Cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- Lime wedges (garnish)
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large soup pot, and sauté the garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin, ancho chile powder, chipotle powder, and dulse flakes for 3 minutes. Add the rehydrated guajillo chiles, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Purée the mix (the soup base) with an immersion blender (or in batches with a conventional blender). Transfer the soup base to a bowl and set aside.
In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium heat and sauté the carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms for 4 minutes. Return the soup base to the pot. Add the vegetable stock, and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the hearts of palm, corn on the cob and chickpeas. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
Serve hot, garnished with cilantro and lime wedges.
- If you can’t find dulse flakes, you can use ground up nori seaweed.
- Potatoes make a great addition to this!
- You can also add zucchini or chayote.
- Any mushroom would do, but preferably try to find oyster mushrooms.
- Serve with tostadas.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 930mg | Potassium: 1487mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 4815IU | Vitamin C: 14.4mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 4.4mg