Vegan Tortitas de Camaron
Vegan Tortitas de Camaron (Mexicans shrimp patties) a classic Lenten dish gone vegan in a guajillo chile salsa roja.
Servings 4 servings
To make the patties:
- 2 cups Finely shredded zucchini
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 2/3 cup Chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Ground mustard
- 1 tsp. Nori powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 6 Guajillo chiles, dried stems, and seeds removed
- 1-2 Chile de arbol, stems and seeds removed (optional)
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 White onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Cilantro sprigs
- 1 1/2 cups Chile soaking liquid
- 2 ½ cups Chopped nopales, cooked (see note)
To make the sauce
In a cast iron pan set to medium heat, toast the chiles for 20-30 seconds on each side. Be careful not to burn them, or the sauce will be bitter.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and drop in the chiles and the tomatoes. Lower heat and simmer for 15 min.
Remove chiles and tomatoes from the soaking liquid and place in the blender with garlic, onion, and 1 ½ cups of the chile soaking liquid. Season with salt and pepper, and process until smooth and strain. Set aside.
To make the patties:
In a large bowl combine the zucchini, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chickpea flour, ground mustard, nori powder, and salt. Mix well with your hand and let sit for 5 min. Mix again.
Grease with preferred cooking oil (optional) then scoop out 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture at a time into the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until light golden brown. Set aside.
Set a large saute pan to medium heat and pour in the sauce. Add cilantro sprig and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add cooked nopales, stir, and adjust seasoning. Add the patties into the sauce and serve with rice.
- To cook nopales, bring a large pot of water to a boil with salt and a cilantro sprig. Add nopales and cook until tender for about 8 minutes. Drain the nopales and rinse them immediately with cold water. Let them drain for a couple of minutes and now they are ready to use.
- The patties will seem like they are too soft in the middle, but as they cool down they will firm up.
- I only added 1 tsp. of nori powder, but if you want the patties to be very fishy you can add more. I made the nori powder by placing 3 sheets of nori (for sushi) in my blender and processing it into a coarse powder. You can also use dulse flakes.
- I added chile de arbol, because I like mine spicy, but you can omit them or add more.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 277mg | Potassium: 689mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2485IU | Vitamin C: 24.3mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 2.1mg