Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Vegan Mole Poblano Recipe and Enmoladas
Is there a dish more Mexican this mole poblano recipe? Mole is a traditional Mexican sauce with over 18 different ingredients!
Servings 12 servings
Mole Poblano Paste
- 7 Ancho chiles
- 6 Mulato Chiles
- 6 Pasilla Chiles
- 3 Chipotle chiles dried
- 1 Onion, small
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2/3 cup Raisins
- ¾ cup Raw peanuts, unsalted
- 2/3 cup Almonds
- 1/3 cup Pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/3 cup Sesame seeds
- 2 Corn tortillas, cut into fourths
- 1 Bolillo, a couple of days old, sliced
- 1 Ripe plantain, peeled sliced
- 1 stick Ceylon cinnamon broken into pieces
- 3 Whole cloves
- ½ tsp. Anise seed
- ½ cone Piloncillo
- 1 tablet Mexican chocolate (Ibarra)
- 1 L Water or vegetable stock
- 2 Vegetable bouillon cubes (optional)
- 1 tsp. Black peppercorns
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Corn Tortillas
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ Onion, thinly sliced
Garnish for Enmoladas
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Crumbled tofu
- Thin onion slices
MOLE POBLANO PASTE
Clean, and remove the seeds and stems from the dried chiles. Using a comal or cast iron pan set to médium heat toast the chiles. Be careful not to burn them or the sauce will be bitter. Once they are lightly toasted submerge them in a pot full of boiling wáter and let soak for 20 minutes.
While the chiles are soaking, bring a médium pot of water to a simmer and add the tomato, onion, and garlic. Simmer for about 6-7 minutes or until the tomates begin to lose their skins and the onion is tender. Drain and set aside.
Once the chiles are soft and pliable, place them in the blender with 1 cup of water or some of the soaking liquid. Blend until smooth. Strain and set aside.
Heat a large saute pan to médium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Fry the raisins, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, almonds, tortilla, bolillo, and plantain one at a time until deep golden brown, almost burnt!
Place all of the fried ingredients in the blender with the cinnamon stick, clove, anise seed, black peppercorns, and sesame seeds. Add 1 cup of water and blend. Add as much water as necessary to get your blender to process all of the ingredients into a smooth thick sauce. Strain and set aside.
In a large pot (preferably clay), set to médium heat, add ½ cup of water, piloncillo, vegetable bouillon and Mexican chocolate. Stir constantly until it dissolves.
Add the chile mixture and the nut-bread mixture, and mix well to incorpórate. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
Continue mixing constantly with a wooden spoon and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes and recheck seasoning. Let cool in pot. Now it is ready to use or store.
MOLE POBLANO ENMOLADAS
Place 1 cup of the mole paste in a médium sauce pot. Add ½ cup of water or vegetable stock and bring to a low simmer. Stir to incorpórate. Add more liquid if necesary to get the right consistency.
In a large saute pan, saute the onions and mushrooms until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Soften your corn tortillas by heating them briefly in the oven or microwave until the roll easily.
Fill the tortillas with the mushroom mixture and roll. Place on a plate and pour mole sauce on top of them.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and top with sliced onions, avocado and crumbled tofu.
This recipe is time consuming but not complicated at all!!
• The recipe makes mole paste, which you can freeze or sabe in the fridge for later use. To use the paste all you need to do is add enough vegetable stock to get it to the right consistency and let it simmer for a couple of minutes, then serve.
• You can make enmoladas with this or serve it over potatoes, chayote and zucchini with rice. • If you want to make this without oil you can toast the ingredients, that were meant to be fried, in the oven until a dark golden brown.
• There were some chiles I couldn’t find easily and I purchased those on Amazon: chile mulato and chile chipotle.
Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 795mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 6590IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 4.1mg