Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chiapas Avocado Tofu Scramble
This Chiapas tofu avocado scramble, cooked with spices, beans, and tortillas strips. Topped with avocado, crema, and pickled jalapeños.
Servings 4 servings
- 16 oz. Tofu firm, drained
- 1 tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Nutritional yeast (optional)
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. Ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. Avocado oil, or your oil of preference
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Cooked pinto beans, with some broth
- 3 Corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Pickled jalapeños
- 4 slices Vegan cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup Raw cashews
- 2 tbsp. Lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
Making the tofu scramble
Crumble the tofu with your hands, until it has the consistency of scrambled eggs. In a small bowl, mix the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, nutritional yeast, cumin, and salt. Add this spice mixture to the crumbled tofu and mix well.
Heat a medium sauté pan to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. of oil and cook the tofu until golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes.
In another sauté pan, set to medium heat, add the remaining tbsp. of oil and add the tortilla strips to the pan. Cook until golden brown and remove from the pan.
Add the soupy beans and crispy tortilla strips to the tofu, and mix well. Season to taste.
Serve topped with slices of vegan cheese, pickled jalapeño peppers, avocado slices, and cashew crema.
To prepare the Cashew Cream
Soak the cashews in ½ cup of water for two hours.
Once the cashews have soaked, place them in the blender with the soaking water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and salt. Process until completely smooth and cream like.
- The recipe doesn’t call for it, but if you can find Indian black salt ( Kala Namak) you can get the tofu to taste like egg, because of the sulfur in the salt.
- This recipe will be even more delicious if you use homemade beans, but if you don’t have time you can use canned beans without a problem.
- If you don’t want to use oil, you can bake your tortilla strips.
- You can use your favorite vegan cheese as a topping for this.
- If you can’t find or don’t like cashews you can make this almond crema.
Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 556mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 225IU | Vitamin C: 9.1mg | Calcium: 207mg | Iron: 3.7mg