Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Sopa de Fideo (Mexican Noodle Soup)
How to Make Sopa de Fideo? It is a warm comforting soup made with a tangy tomato base and golden brown noodles. Kids love it!!
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tbsp. Oil (optional)
- 8 oz. Angel hair pasta or whole wheat thin spaghetti, broken into 1 in. pieces
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Diced tomatoes or 2 cups of fresh diced tomatoes
- 1/2 Onion, white, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 Mexican zucchini, diced
- 1 Lime, cut into quarters
In a medium pot get your vegetable stock boiling hot and set aside.
Set a large pot to medium heat and add oil. Once the oil is hot add broken up noodles and toss to coat in oil. Continue to cook until noodles are golden brown, about 3 minutes.
While the noodles are browning, place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and 2 cups of the vegetable stock in the blender and process until smooth.
Strain this mixture directly into the golden noodles still in the hot pot. Stir to prevent the noodles from sticking.
Let mixture simmer for 1 minute. Add the rest of your stock and set heat to high. Add zucchini and cook noodles at a low boil until noodles are al dente and zucchini is tender. Stir often. Season.
Serve with a wedge of lime so everyone can add as much lime juice as they like.
- For this version, I used canned tomatoes because tomatoes are not in season right now. If it's summer I recommend you use fresh tomatoes.
- You can add zucchini, carrots, beans or potatoes to this for higher nutritional value.
- You can also make this soup using alphabet pasta to make sopa de letras.
- To make this recipe without oil set the pot to medium-low heat and add the noodles. Dry toast the noodles until golden brown stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Continue with the rest of the recipe as written.
- I like to add a sprig of cilantro with the zucchini, but that is completely optional.
- For a lot of us, the food memory of this soup is associated with the flavor that knorr chicken flavor bouillon gives to the soup. To substitute this, I recommend using Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 2358mg | Potassium: 283mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1350IU | Vitamin C: 10.5mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 0.9mg