Vegan tuna salad was one of those things I refused to try for a long time. It sounded so unappetizing, I don’t think I was a fan of real tuna salad to begin, with so trying a vegan version seemed almost illogical. When I finally did, I realized I was sooo wrong. I may not have liked tuna, but I certainly do like chickpeas! This vegan chickpea tuna salad has mashed chickpeas, tomato, onion, serrano pepper, vegan mayo, olives, and capers. It is just the right amount of spicy and it is stuffed into a roasted poblano pepper.
This is another one of those Mexican lent dishes I was talking about last week. It is meant to be eaten cold, like a salad, but if you like it can be eaten warm. If you choose to eat it warm, I recommend serving it with this chipotle tomato sauce. Another way to eat this vegan chickpea tuna salad is in a sandwich, tostadas or with crackers. It is perfect for an on-the-go lunch and it is full of protein. I made it just a couple of days ago to photograph it, and my dad asked if he could try it. I was a little nervous since my dad is definitely NOT VEGAN, but he really enjoyed it!
If you are looking for other recipes with poblano peppers you can try this traditional chile relleno filled with vegan cheese and fried until golden brown, or this roasted poblano pepper filled with quinoa and calabacitas and topped with a creamy vegan chipotle sauce.
The Recipe: Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad Stuffed Poblano
I usually try and find a brand of chickpeas that are very tender and soft. Some are more firm than others, or you can always cook them yourself. The more tender your chickpeas are, the creamier your tuna salad will be. If you can’t find vegan mayo or you are a no-oil vegan, you can substitute the mayo with mashed avocado or this oil-free vegan mayo. Enjoy!
Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad Stuffed Poblano PeppersPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Large poblano peppers, roasted
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup Diced tomatoes, fresh
- 1/4 cup White onion, finely chopped
- 1 Serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Manzanilla olives
- 1 tbsp. Chopped capers
- 1-2 tsp. Vegan mayo (see note)
- 1/2 -1 tbsp. Liquid from pickled jalapeños, or lime juice
- Roast, peel, and deseeded the poblano peppers. Set aside.
- Place chickpeas in a shallow bowl and use a fork to mash them up.
- Add tomatoes. onion, serrano, olives, capers and mix well.
- Add the vegan mayo and 1/2 tbsp. of pickled jalapeño liquid or lime juice. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and taste. If necessary, add remaining 1/2 tbsp. of pickled jalapeño liquid or lime juice.
- Place salad in fridge for 15 to 20 min. (optional)
- Stuff the poblano peppers with the chickpea salad and serve.