I dislike veggie burgers. They’re not burgers!!! Inevitably though, you will find yourself eating one, because they are commonly the only vegetarian-vegan options available at casual restaurants. Why make them at home then? Well, this recipe for spiced sweet potato black bean burger is pretty good, if I do say so myself. I usually make a big batch and freeze them. This way when I’m too lazy, tired, or out late doing stuff, I just pull some out of the freezer and make dinner, voila!
The addition of garam masala gives it a unique flavor and they are packed with veggies. The munchkin loves them. I do have to warn you, they are definitely not burgers. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them on their own with a salad or in a whole wheat wrap. Alright lovely readers, it’s late, have a sweet night.
The Recipe: Spiced Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger
This burger is packed full of veggies and protein. I have added garam-masala and serrano pepper for an extra kick. I usually make these when I have leftover brown rice and quinoa. Enjoy!
Spiced Sweet Potato Black Bean BurgerPin Recipe Print Recipe
- 1/2 cup Diced yellow onion
- 4 Garlic, cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Carrots, peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup Celery, diced
- 1/2 Serrano, diced
- 1/3 cup Corn kernels, fresh or canned
- 1 cup Sweet potato, cooked, peeled, mashed
- 1 tbsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1/3 cup Maseca, corn flour
- 1 cup Black Beans, drained, canned
- 1 cup Brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup Quinoa, cooked
- 1/4 cup Chopped parslet
- To taste Salt kosher
- To taste Black pepper ground
- In the bowl of a food processor add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, serrano, and corn kernels and process until the vegetables are chopped finely but not pureed.
- In a large pan, set to medium-low heat, sauté vegetable mixture until all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 – 7 minutes. Set aside and let cool for 5 min.
- In a large bowl combine brown rice, quinoa, beans, sweet potato, garam masala, paprika, corn flour, parsley, vegetable mixture, salt, and pepper.
- Place half of the mixture back into the food processor and pulse 3 times. Return mixture to bowl and mix well.
- Form into patties. Refrigerate for at least an hour before cooking.
- To cook, sauté in 1 tbsp. of oil for 2 -3 min. on each side until golden brown.